Sunday, April 8, 2012

Update to Bait Build 2012

A Propionate Soak.

In my attempt to stay a little ahead on the build, I needed to get my pine batch into the propionate. Time just wasn't working with me. I decided to break up the 36 pine baits into three separate jars, 10", 8", and 6". This entailed arranging the baits in the jars so they were submerged and weighted to stay there. Then sealed the jars. When time permitted I would open the jars and let them breathe. There wasn't a lot of room at the tops and I thought it would help in maintaining negative pressure in the jar to let the air escape ( burping).

I do not have a formula for the mix, surprise. I use the mix ratio once at the beginning and change it for my needs, that's where a thick and thin jar comes in. This mix was closer to water than 2% milk, some where in between I guess? I was looking for a penetrating soak, trying to seal the bait's not just coat them. So as time permitted, 48 hours later?  I ran some temp screw eyes in and hung them up to dry. Once they dried out I did a quick dip in the same jars and let them dry. The next day I was able to sand them down.

As I was sanding, I realized that the consistency and feel of the propionate on these baits ( you can see the difference between raw wood sanding dust and propionate sanding dust ) was that of my baits from last year. Last years baits were soaked three times and coated three times? All tolled, about a day's work.

I am only looking to seal the pine wood bait's and think this worked well to do just that. I find no need to build a coating of propionate on the surface as we use a 2 part automotive primer for paint.
If you are using propionate, keep in mind the film thickness of a coating and what you are trying to accomplish.
A coating is better achieved with a little thicker mix, a soak a little thinner. I have not had a lot of success with the propionate as a clear top coat, nor have I put the time in to perfect it. There really isn't a wrong way of doing it. This just gave me the time to accomplish my task, with the same or better results.
Note. Unless you like watching the air bubbles, you do not have to use glass jars. Just make sure what ever you do use doesn't melt from the acetone?

( Keep it in the Water )
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Type Questions or Information Here.